A wider variety of sustainable seafood products will be available in a range of outlets to help meet and drive customer demand.
Children are given the chance to understand the food chain from boat to plate and to learn about responsible consumption with the help of Murdock the Fisherman's Cat. Murdock hosts a fun-packed website and guides teachers and their classes through inspirational classroom activities.
Fishers are encouraged to improve their fishing practices.
Why supporting Fish & Kids is vital
- Responsible consumers are given a real choice to support our last major industry harvesting a wild-caught, renewable food resource by choosing MSC certified products in shops, at school and in restaurants.
- Children find out where their food comes from and are given the opportunity in class to connect real world fish production processes to the seafood they eat.
- Schools and restaurants can obtain the MSC chain of custody certification to verify traceability by a simple and cost-effective process, in order to use MSC logo on menus.
- The foodservice industry is encouraged to develop a range of MSC products which are differentiated using the MSC logo.
- Global overfishing is addressed by promoting the best environmental choice and by encouraging more fisheries to apply for MSC certification to prove that they fish sustainably and make the changes necessary for improvement to respond to market pressure.